Death warrant for mentally ill man issued
Lahore jail authorities moved the court seeking the death warrant of Khizar Hayat. The court issued warrants and fixed January 17 for his execution.
Khizar Hayat, a 55-year-old former police officer, was awarded death sentence in 2003 for killing a colleague.
The United Nations has previously urged Pakistan to protect mentally ill prisoners, singling out Hayat as having "psychosocial disabilities".
The Justice Project Pakistan (JPP), which is handling the case, said counsel for Hayat in September 2015 had challenged the death sentence following his client's mental illness.
Hayat was diagnosed by government doctors in 2008, when a de facto moratorium on the death penalty was in place.
JPP spokesperson Ramal Mohaiddin said that the decision of the court was shocking as the Supreme Court had previously halted the execution of another mentally ill person Imdad Ali.
He added that Hayat's condition is not stable and his execution would prove that basic human rights are not upheld in Pakistan.
- 'Depth of misogyny’ – HRCP demands apology from Imran Khan over ...01:58 PM | 21 May, 2022
- Pakistan Army sets up heat stroke relief camps as temperature ...01:14 PM | 21 May, 2022
- Turkey’s defence minister calls on Pakistan Army chief12:19 PM | 21 May, 2022
- Pakistan court awards 29-year jail term to man over rape, child ...11:55 AM | 21 May, 2022
- PM Shehbaz congratulates Chinese President Xi on 71st anniversary of ...11:26 AM | 21 May, 2022
- Watch - Hania Aamir ignores Iqra Aziz at 'Parde Mein Rehne Do' ...07:38 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Nora Fatehi and Kriti Sanon jump onto the ‘Pasoori’ bandwagon06:32 PM | 20 May, 2022
- TikToker Dolly's new dance video goes viral05:30 PM | 20 May, 2022
- Dollar hits all-time high at Rs19212:45 PM | 12 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022