US congresswoman, who met Syria's Assad, to run for president
"I have decided to run and will be making a formal announcement within the next week," Gabbard told CNN.
If elected, the 37-year-old lawmaker would be the youngest president in US history. She is the first Hindu member of Congress and its first Samoan American.
"There are a lot of reasons for me to make this decision. There are a lot of challenges that are facing the American people that I'm concerned about and that I want to help solve," she said, citing health care access and climate change among them.
Gabbard sits on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, where she is able to influence US foreign policy.
"There is one main issue that is central to the rest, and that is the issue of war and peace," Gabbard added. "I look forward to being able to get into this and to talk about it in depth when we make our announcement."
Gabbard was born in American Samoa and was raised in Hawaii, where she is known to surf.
The previous Democratic president, Barack Obama, was also raised in Hawaii, and is the only president who was born in the island state.
Gabbard's announcement comes ahead of what is expected to be a wave of high-profile candidates throwing their hats in the ring.
- Haider Ali hospitalised after viral illness10:32 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- PM Shehbaz felicitates Chinese leadership on National Day10:00 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Pakistani UN peacekeeper martyred in Central Africa09:46 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Iran’s key intelligence official killed in clashes with protesters09:06 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Bollywood actress Rani Mukerji set to release her autobiography04:48 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Tajikistan singer Abdu Rozik is the first contestant of Bigg Boss 1607:08 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Teaser revealed for Wasim Akram, Fawad Khan-starrer 'Money Back ...08:48 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022