Wasim and I are living proof that colour means absolutely nothing: Shaniera Akram
With Black Lives Matter protests erupting all across the world in response to the killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery, many celebrities have been vocal about racism and the recent one to join the debate is Shaniera Akram.
The actor recently took to Instagram to share how her relationship with Wasim Akram is a living proof that ethnicity and colour are irrelevant.
The social media personality shared an image of her hand on top of her husband’s with their wedding rings on display, along with a caption narrating multiple racist comments.
View this post on Instagram
“He only married her because she’s white. She must be easy! Does his skin smell different? Why couldn’t he marry a Brown girl? Its not going to last. It’s not natural for two skin colours to mix. Interracial relationships never work. What spell did she put on him? He will never take you seriously because your white. Your both so different. You will never be accepted as a real couple. His sons can’t have a Gori stepmother. If you have children they will grow up confused and treated differently”. We have had it on both sides, it’s ugly and unwarranted! Skin colour only troubles the people in this world who sees it. Like millions of others, We are living proof that colour means absolutely nothing, LOVE does. #KeepFighting #TheWorldIsColourful #RacismHasNoPlaceInThisWorld #RacismIsNotABeliefItsADisease PLEASE take in to account that My post was a reaction to a very mean tweet I recently received. Wasim and I have not really experienced racism as individuals and it wasn’t until we were together that people found us a problem (not necessarily on social media more so in person from people who did not know us) and that is why I felt it necessary to highlight. And again I stress it came from both sides. Some types of racism can come in disguise, because while there are people supporting racial equality they still look down on mixed race relationships, I have now seen this first hand and this is also a topic that goes unnoticed. The quote “skin colour only troubles those who see it” was directed at people who have a problem with mixed race relationships, it doesn’t take into account the structural and systemic racism that the BLM movement is challenging . I’m sorry if this post was misinterpreted or seemed insensitive that was not my intention. I see colour, and it is what makes this world beautiful, I just think when I comes to love colour should never be an issue, and unfortunately for some it still is.
“He only married her because she’s white. She must be easy! Does his skin smell different? Why couldn’t he marry a Brown girl? It’s not natural for two skin colours to mix!”
The post continued, “Interracial relationships never work. What spell did she put on him? He will never take you seriously because you’re white. You’re both so different. You will never be accepted as a real couple. His sons can’t have a gori stepmother. If you have children they will grow up confused and treated differently.”
After mentioning these unwanted remarks Shaniera said, “We have had it on both sides, it’s ugly and unwarranted! Skin colour only troubles the people in this world who see it. Like millions of others, We are living proof that colour means absolutely nothing, love does.”
Previously, Shaniera had also shut down a ghastly troll on her Twitter thread – bashing her for being white.
Have more to add to the story? Comment below and stay tuned for more!
- All banks to operate from 09:00am to 5:30pm11:51 PM | 12 Jul, 2020
- PTI minister backs Khawaja Asif on Hindu temple in Islamabad11:07 PM | 12 Jul, 2020
- Global coronavirus cases near 13 million with 569,000 deaths so far10:36 PM | 12 Jul, 2020
- Four Pakistani soldiers martyred, 4 terrorists killed in North ...10:02 PM | 12 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan nears 251,000 cases of coronavirus – 5,257 confirmed dead09:20 PM | 12 Jul, 2020
- Amitabh Bachchan in hospital after testing positive for COVID-1911:36 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Kanye West is reportedly ‘struggling’ with bipolar disorder04:44 PM | 11 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020