Israeli special forces assassinate Hamas commander in Gaza
The death of Nour Baraka, a senior al-Qassam Brigades official, along with others sparked fresh exchanges of cross-border fire, despite recent talk of a ceasefire agreement.
In a statement, Hamas' armed wing, the Qassam Brigades, said Israeli undercover forces in a civilian vehicle infiltrated Gaza and fatally shot one of its commanders. The Israelis called in airstrikes to cover their retreat, Reuters explained, with Israel Defense Forces (IDF) aircraft firing more than 40 missiles at a host of targets in the surrounding area.
The Palestinian Health Ministry said six people, including at least five of the Brigades, were killed and seven others wounded in clashes that ensued after Hamas discovered the force while it was still in the area.
— Ben White (@benabyad) November 12, 2018
The fate of the Israeli special force was unclear, but Israeli sources indicated that one of its members was killed and another wounded.
During IDF special forces’ operational activity in #Gaza, an exchange of fire broke out, during which an IDF officer was killed and an additional IDF officer was moderately injured.— Israel Defense Forces (@IDF) November 11, 2018
Most details of the raid are being kept secret by the IDF.
Hamas won Palestinian elections in 2006 and reinforced its power in the Gaza Strip after ousting West Bank-based Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' rival Fatah faction in clashes the following year.
In other news, Israeli forces clashed with demonstrators and students in various parts of the West Bank as Palestinians marked 14 years since the death of Palestinian former leader Yasser Arafat.
Demonstrators and students threw stones at Israeli forces in Hebron, Bethlehem, Fawwar and al-Oroob camps. The troops responded with bullets and gas grenades.
Dozens of students and teachers suffered temporary asphyxiation from teargas canisters fired by the forces during the raid.
Israeli forces also targeted dozens of young men and women with tear gas and rubber bullets during their marches to commemorate Arafat’s death.
Clashes broke out in several towns, including Taqwa and the village of Dar Salah in Bethlehem.
The clashes came a day after thousands of Palestinians marched in the funeral of Mohammad Ibrahim Shreitah, who succumbed to wounds sustained two weeks ago by Israeli forces during clashes in the al-Mazraa al-Gharbiyeh village north of the central occupied West Bank district of Ramallah.
- Indian troops martyr three Kashmiri youth in IIOJK10:17 AM | 27 May, 2022
- PM Shehbaz to announce relief package for those who can’t afford ...09:45 AM | 27 May, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:19 AM | 27 May, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan – 27 May 202208:46 AM | 27 May, 2022
- At least one dead, three injured in Karachi PC Hotel roof collapse ...12:24 AM | 27 May, 2022
- Amna Ilyas’ new bold photo from France sets internet on fire07:13 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Fans share their dance videos to celebrate Ali Zafar’s hit song ...05:50 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Alizeh Shah’s new video of enjoying song in car goes viral04:45 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022