‘Friends’ reunion delayed due to coronavirus
LOS ANGELES - The much-anticipated Friends reunion has been delayed and will not be available at the launch of HBO Max, the new streaming platform said Friday, as the global coronavirus pandemic shuts down productions across Hollywood.
News of the unscripted special had delighted fans of the beloved US sitcom, which remains wildly popular even among viewers too young to remember its original run, which ended in 2004.
Stars Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer have signed up to return to the comedy’s original soundstage on the Warner Bros. Studio lot outside Los Angeles. But a spokesman told AFP Friday the special will not be available for HBO Max’s May launch as planned, adding that it will be coming to the streaming platform “soon.”
Production has not yet taken place due to the coronavirus lockdown, part of measures put in place for billions around the globe to break the transmission of the virus which has killed more than 100,000 people worldwide.
A remote or virtual reunion was not considered due to the significance of the original soundstage, according to Variety.
Each actor is expected to receive $2.5 million for taking part in the special, it reported.
WarnerMedia’s Sean Kisker this week confirmed the May launch of HBO Max itself, which will cost $14.99 a month, remains “still very much on” schedule.
The Friends back catalogue is a key selling point for the new streaming platform as it enters a fiercely competitive marketplace alongside Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime and Apple TV+.
Unveiling the special in February, Kevin Reilly, a chief content officer at HBO Max, said the show about a close-knit group of friends living in New York City had captivated “viewers generation after generation.”
“It taps into an era when friends — and audiences — gathered together in real-time and we think this reunion special will capture that spirit, uniting original and new fans,” he said. Aniston’s Instagram post in February teasing the special drew nearly 4.8 million likes in three hours.
Friends was among the most-watched shows on Netflix until all 10 seasons of the show were reclaimed last year by WarnerMedia, which owns HBO Max.
Seen on US television from 1994 to 2004, it won dozens of awards and garnered global celebrity for Aniston and her co-stars.
- Heavy rains likely in parts of country from Thursday11:48 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Pakistan condemns start of temple construction at Babri Mosque site ...11:09 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Trump offers to mediate standoff between China, India09:45 PM | 27 May, 2020
- India may lose T20 World Cup 2021 hosting rights over tax issues08:51 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Petrol prices likely to go down by Rs5-10 in Pakistan07:33 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Anoushey receives Eid wishes from 'Ertugrul' – VIDEO04:35 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Nadia Jamil’s best friend goes bald to support her03:55 PM | 27 May, 2020
- Asim Azhar releases his version of Bollywood song Humraah02:34 PM | 27 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020