At least 19 killed in explosion at Chinese chemical plant
The authorities in Jiang'an county said the blast happened at Yibin Hengda Technology in an industrial park. The company makes chemicals for the food and pharmaceutical industries.
According to Xinhua News, the blast occurred at around 6:30 p.m. on Thursday and fire was put out on Friday morning. The injured persons are in the stable condition.
The officials have launched an investigation to trace the cause behind the deadly incident.
According to local media reports, the three-storey buildings of the factory burnt down to their steel frames, while the windows of the nearby buildings were also shattered.
Photos circulating on social media showed plumes of smoke coming out from the remains of the building.
In 2015, a blast in a chemical warehouse in the northern port city of Tianjin left 165 people dead and multiple injured.
Last year, an explosion at a petrochemical plant in eastern Shandong province killed eight people and injured nine.
The recent incident happened amid a drive to improve industrial safety started during the last year, following incidents at coal mines and chemical plants.
- Court moved seeking independent commission to probe Saqib Nisar’s ...03:52 PM | 27 Nov, 2021
- PTI leader shot dead in Sindh03:08 PM | 27 Nov, 2021
- Hassan Ali joins Waqar Younis, Imran Khan in elite list after taking ...02:25 PM | 27 Nov, 2021
- Debt-ridden journalist hangs himself after being fired01:51 PM | 27 Nov, 2021
- Indian 'Gutka Man' who sparks meme fest says ‘I wasn't eating ...01:07 PM | 27 Nov, 2021
- Pakistani stars heartbroken after rare white lion dies at Karachi Zoo05:22 PM | 26 Nov, 2021
- Latest video of TikTok star Alishbah Anjum’s takes the internet by ...03:57 PM | 26 Nov, 2021
- Hania Aamir's new dance video goes viral03:22 PM | 26 Nov, 2021