France remembers Paris attack victims on first anniversary
President Francois Hollande unveiled plaques at sites across the city that were attacked by the ‘Islamic State’ terrorist group, starting at the Stade de France.
A suicide bomber stuck outside the national stadium where France were playing Germany in a football match in the first of a series of coordinated attacks on the evening of November 13, 2015.
Hollande and Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo also unveiled plaques outside bars and restaurants in the trendy neighborhood where gunmen sprayed bullets at people enjoying a Friday evening out.
The final ceremony took place outside the Bataclan, the concert hall where 90 people were killed by three attackers during a rock gig in the culmination of the carnage.
The names of those killed at the concert were read out as hundreds of people gathered under rainy skies watched in silence.
Islamic State said it had struck at France because it was bombing its militants in Iraq and Syria.
Hollande responded at the time by saying France was "at war" and French jets continue to launch air strikes on the group, which is fighting an Iraqi-led assault to take back the city of Mosul.
STATE OF EMERGENCY
Prime Minister Manuel Valls said on Sunday the state of emergency declared after the attacks would likely be extended as France gears up for presidential elections in six months' time.
"This state of emergency device allows us to make arrests, administrative checks which are effective... So yes, we are probably going to live a few months more with this state of emergency," Valls told the BBC.
- Election process and football activities making rapid progress in ...01:29 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Balochistan police arrest PTI Senator Azam Swati over controversial ...12:35 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- PAKvENG: England pile up 657 runs against Pakistan on Day 212:03 PM | 2 Dec, 2022
- PM Shehbaz extends greetings to UAE on National Day11:35 AM | 2 Dec, 2022
- Shehnaaz Gill shares romantic photos with Vicky Kaushal09:22 PM | 1 Dec, 2022
- Shah Rukh Khan spotted performing Umrah08:31 PM | 1 Dec, 2022
- 'Don't boycott hard work of 300 people,' Farhan Saeed tells people ...11:29 PM | 1 Dec, 2022
- Timeline of Pakistan Army Generals during country’s 75 year-long ...10:28 AM | 29 Nov, 2022
- Only two Pakistani universities make it to Asia’s top 10003:15 PM | 10 Nov, 2022
- Pakistanis named among 'The World's Most Influential 500 Muslims'10:16 PM | 2 Nov, 2022
- Shehbaz Sharif, Imran Khan, Gen Bajwa named among world’s 500 most ...10:36 PM | 1 Nov, 2022