Schools shut, traffic chaos as Riyadh hit by rare flooding
The storm, which struck during Tuesday evening’s rush hour, subsided by daybreak on Wednesday but some roads were still inundated.
Riyadh implemented its emergency plan to deal with the flooding, the spokesman for the municipal council, Mohammad Al Shwayman, was quoted by the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA) as saying.
Residents were urged not to gather in affected areas “for the sake of taking pictures and videos, putting their lives at risk,” he said.
Traffic backed up for kilometres along at least one major thoroughfare and many vehicles broke down as the deluge flooded city streets.
- Inzamam-ul-Haq in hospital after heart attack01:20 AM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Dr Zakir Naik takes to Facebook in search of wife for son12:12 AM | 28 Sep, 2021
- French President Macron comes under egg attack during visit to trade ...11:44 PM | 27 Sep, 2021
- US Deputy State Secretary Sherman to visit Pakistan, India next month11:26 PM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Indian farmers resume protests, call for countrywide strike10:55 PM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Maryam Nawaz and Kubra Khan look stunning in similar outfits06:04 PM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Ertugrul actress Hande Subaşı's singing video goes viral04:25 PM | 27 Sep, 2021
- Alizeh Shah shares unseen childhood photo05:26 PM | 27 Sep, 2021