At least 35 killed as Italy motorway bridge collapses in Genoa (PHOTOS)
The death toll is expected to rise, Italian Deputy Transport Minister Edoardo Rixi said, after part of the Morandi Bridge on the A10 motorway caved in around midday local time (10:00 GMT) on Tuesday.
About 200 firefighters were deployed to the scene, the fire service said, with two survivors reportedly pulled from the rubble and flown to hospital by helicopter.
The cause of the disaster was not immediately clear, although weather services in the region had issued a storm warning Tuesday morning.
Some 20 vehicles were on the viaduct when it collapsed, according to firefighters.
Television images showed the bridge in the mist with a huge chunk missing, with Italian media reporting that about 200 metres of the bridge had fallen away.
'An immense tragedy'
Police footage showed firemen working to clear debris around a crushed truck, while another fireman nearby scaled broken slabs of the collapsed bridge support.
Restructuring work on the 1.2km-long bridge, a major artery to the Italian Riviera and to France's southern coast, was carried out in 2016.
The highway operator said work to shore up its foundation was being carried out at the time of the collapse, adding that the bridge was constantly monitored.
Tancredi Palmeri, an Italian journalist, said that the collapse took place on a usually busy stretch of road.
"The bridge is one of the main two gates to the city, everybody that has been to Genoa by car has passed by this highway bridge."
As details emerged, Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli said the incident was "an immense tragedy", adding he was travelling to the scene of the collapse.
"I am following with the greatest apprehension what has happened in Genoa," Toninelli wrote on Twitter.
- ‘President grossly failed to exercise his discretion,’ remarks SC ...07:04 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- US suspends visa services in Turkey over reports of potential terror ...05:58 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Police arrested man posturing as fake Pakistan Army Captain04:47 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- 37th Millat Tractors Governors Cup Golf commences today04:20 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- IN PICTURES: 5 of the most expensive Pakistani weddings of all times03:33 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- 5 fall wardrobe essentials every woman needs02:00 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Unfinished: Priyanka Chopra completes her memoir11:22 AM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Turkish Airlines fined for violating SOPs in Pakistan02:42 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PDM rally venue changed in Quetta over security threats02:05 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- Five killed as bus catches fire near Khuzdar12:07 PM | 23 Oct, 2020
- PML-N leader’s secret meeting upsets Nawaz11:45 AM | 23 Oct, 2020