Iran executes 'Sultan of Coins' for amassing 2 tons of gold
Vahid Mazloumin, known as ‘Sultan of Coins’, and another member of his currency trading network received the death penalty for "spreading corruption on earth", the Tehran Times reported.
They were put to death after the Supreme Court upheld their death sentences and the legal processes were completed, Tasnim reported.
Mazloumin, 58, known as the “sultan of coins” was arrested in July for hoarding two tons of gold coins over a ten-month period and several of their accomplices have been jailed.
Mazloumin was one of at least seven people handed death sentences this year in trials in the new finance-focused special courts, some of which were broadcast live on state television.
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has predicted that Iran 's inflation rate will jump to over 40 percent by the end of the year and that US sanctions will lower economic output down by 1.5 percent this year.
- Zameen.com ready to hold Karachi Expo on February 1 and 208:18 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Ufone felicitates KPC’s new leadership08:12 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- 'Anti-state' Facebook posts: Lahore journalist's bail plea rejected07:54 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Trump’s Mideast plan: Pakistan wants Jerusalem as capital of ...07:09 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Female polio vaccinator killed in Swabi firing incident06:32 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Priyanka Chopra in final talks to join The Matrix 403:19 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Humayun Saeed thanks fans for showering love on MPTH's team02:49 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Shah Rukh Khan's Pakistani cousin passes away in Peshawar02:15 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019