Alhamra's Manto festival finally gets a green signal
LAHORE - Since the past few days, multiple activists and the Anjuman Taraqi Pasand Musanifeen – an organization of progressive writers of Pakistan had been carrying out protests at Lahore Press Club after the cancellation of the Manto Festival by the Alhamra Arts Council.
The protestors were not happy with the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC)’s decision to ban Nandita Das’ recent film Manto , which was not even issued a censor certificate.
They also raised slogans against the CBFC and also condemned Alhamra’s administration for canceling the festival, claiming that ‘Naya Pakistan’ should not have such narrow-minded practices as they discredit the services done by great writers like Saadat Hassan Manto .
Many notable personalities were part of the protest including Salima Hashmi (daughter of Faiz Ahmad Faiz), senior journalist Hussain Naqi, Farooq Tariq, Hassnain Jameel, Saeed Ahmad, Comrade Tanveer.
Fortunately, the protests have been successful and the council has taken back its decision to cancel the Manto Festival at least. It will now be held in February.
Indian acclaimed film star and producer Nandita Das also sent wishes from across the border and she also expressed her gratitude for the support of Pakistanis in getting a permit of releasing her debut produced film Manto in Pakistan.
The event was canceled earlier this week over concerns that the author’s work promotes indecent content. Some even went as far as calling Manto a ‘liberal and vulgar writer.’
As for the film, it was deemed to be ‘against Pakistani ideology’ and allegedly has some points of contention with regards to the Partition of India and Pakistan.
Isn't it great news for all the art and literature admirers out there? What is your say on this? Literary festivals like these should be held on regular basis? Yes or No? Share your thoughts with us in the comments box below.
- Over 5,000 prisoners suffering from HIV/AIDS, fatal diseases in ...10:27 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Kamyab Jawan Programme: PM Imran likely to distribute loan cheques in ...08:26 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Father, son die as vehicle falls into sea in Karachi07:49 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan, Malaysia face identical problems, says PM Imran06:58 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Balochistan doctors allowed to carry out private practice in ...05:23 PM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019