At least 61 killed by Israeli forces in Gaza protests as US opens embassy in Jerusalem
This is the largest number of fatalities suffered in one day since the latest round of protests began more than six weeks ago, the Palestinian Ministry of Health announced.
Protests intensified on the 70th anniversary of Israel’s founding, with loudspeakers on Gaza mosques urging Palestinians to join a “Great March of Return”. Black smoke from tyres burnt by demonstrators rose into the air at the border.
A 21-year-old and a 29-year-old were among the first killed by Israeli soldiers, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. In the last seven weeks, more than 50 Palestinians have been killed in protests along the Gaza border.
May 14 2018— Andi Vincent (@AndiVincent) May 14, 2018
Palestinian Martyr Amputee Fadi Hasan Abu Salah shot dead today by Israeli occupation snipers.#Gaza #Children #Netanyahu #Nakba #Silence #Hamas #Palestine #Hypocrisy #IDF #USA #PalestinianLand #GreatReturnMarch #Trump #Jews #UK #Israel #Zionist #Jerusalem #AndiVincent pic.twitter.com/ZNjFxi7ww8
Trump did not make the trip to Israel for the official opening, but sent daughter and adviser Ivanka Trump and son-in-law Jared Kushner in his place. Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin also made the trip.
As the death toll continues to mount, UN rights experts are urging Israel to stop using excessive force against Palestinian protesters.
The 18-member UN committee said it was "gravely concerned that many of the persons who died or were injured were reportedly posing no imminent threat at the time they were shot."
They are "alarmed by the disproportionate use of force displayed by the Israeli security forces against Palestinian demonstrators."
It also voiced alarm at "many reports according to which Israeli authorities have denied and continue to deny access to urgent medical treatment to injured Palestinians."
The UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is calling for an "impartial, independent investigation" into the military violence that has left dozens dead.
- It's not a good time to talk to India about better relations: PM Imran12:48 AM | 26 Oct, 2021
- PAKvNZ: After hunting down India, Pakistan ready to take on New ...12:18 AM | 26 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran holds meetings with Saudi crown prince, Bahraini counterpart ...11:27 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- PM Imran congratulates Uzbek president on reelection10:55 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- Thank You, Pakistan, For Welcoming Cricket Live Streaming For Free!10:31 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- Mira Sethi questions the definition of masculinity that targets ...07:15 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- Twitter hilariously trolls Akshay Kumar after Pakistan's victory ...05:38 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- Babar Azam's father breaks into tears after Pakistan’s victory ...04:46 PM | 25 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021