Nida's all-round display inspires Pak women to comfortable win in first T20I against South Africa
LAHORE – All-rounder Nida Dar scored a half-century and took two wickets to lead Pakistan to a seven wicket win against South Africa in the first T20I match played at LC de Villiers Oval in Pretoria, South Africa on Wednesday, Pakistan have taken a 1-0 lead in the five-match series.
The Gujranwala-born Nida, who was named player of the match, followed an impeccable opening spell by Sana Mir to take two wickets as South Africa were restricted to 119 for seven in their 20 overs, said the information made available by the Pakistan Cricket Board.
With the bat, Nida added 89 runs for the third wicket with captain Bismah Maroof to guide Pakistan home with two overs to spare.
Sana Mir who took four wickets in Pakistan's first-ever ODI win in South Africa last week, produced another brilliant spell of off-spin bowling to derail the hosts batting line-up after they were asked to bat first by Bismah.
Sana, the highest wicket-taking spinner in ODIs, made a remarkable start with two wickets in her first over.
Pakistan’s Sana Mir becomes highest ... 10:43 PM | 12 May, 2019
LAHORE – Pakistan off-spinner Sana Mir has become the most successful women's ODI spinner in history after she took ...
Sana trapped opener Lizelle Lee lbw for nought on the second ball of the match and followed that with the wicket of the other opener Tazmin Brits three balls later, Brits was caught behind by wicketkeeper Sidra Nawaz, she also failed to score.
Pakistan bowlers continued to make inroads as South Africa were reduced to 61 for six after 14 overs. A 54-run partnership for the seventh wicket between Chloe Tryon (43) and Shabnim Ismail (20 not out) took the score to 115 in the final over, South Africa ended their innings at 119 for seven.
Nida provided great support to Sana, the off-spinner took two wickets for 30 runs in her four overs, Aliya Riaz and Nashra Sandhu took a wicket each.
Pakistan lost two early wickets in the chase but the partnership between Nida and Bismah ensured that the visitors achieve the target with ease. Bismah scored an unbeaten 53 off 48 balls, her innings included four fours.
Nida who was the more aggressive of the two scored 53 off 37 balls, her innings included seven fours and two sixes. The second match of the five-match series will be played on Saturday, 18 May in Pietermaritzburg.
Ist T20I, Pretoria, Pakistan won by seven wickets
Scores in brief:
South Africa Women 119/7, 20 overs (Chloe Tryon 43 Mignon du Preez 23, Shabnim Ismail 20 not out; Sana Mir 3-14, Nida Dar 2-30)
Pakistan Women 120/3, 20 overs (Bismah Maroof 53 not out, Nida Dar 53; Masabata Klaas 1-16)
Player of the match: Nida Dar
- FM Qureshi inaugurates new Pakistan embassy building in Doha11:23 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- PSL 2020 – Match 11: Peshawar Zalmi beat Lahore Qalandars by 16 runs11:13 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- At least 30 dead, dozens injured in Rohri train crash11:07 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- UN alarmed after ongoing anti-Muslim violence leaves 42 dead in India10:54 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Fracture rules Bismah Maroof out of ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 202010:41 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Canada will no longer pay for Harry and Meghan's security03:56 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Here's what Navin Waqar does to stay fit03:36 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Scientists think they know how stress causes grey hair03:04 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019