After Iranian Council approval, Tehran now all set to put nuclear deal with world powers in motion
An oversight panel ratified the bill passed by Parliament supporting the deal with six world powers which was a final step towards approval of the deal .
The ratification by the veto-wielding panel, the 12-member Guardian Council, made within 36 hours after Parliament accepted the details of the agreement, now clears the way for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran to start dismantling thousands of centrifuges and redesign a heavy-water reactor into a much less a dangerous light-water reactor.
It also needs to take several other measures.
In exchange, as soon as the International Atomic Energy Agency verifies the steps, sanctions against Iran will be lifted.
Iranian officials, including President Hassan Rouhani, speaking on state television on Tuesday, predicted that the process would take about two months.
Under the Iranian system, half the Guardian Council’s members are clerics, appointed by the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and confirmed by Parliament. The other half are jurists, appointed by the head of the judiciary, Sadegh Larijani.
The council ratifies laws, or sends them back to Parliament if they are deemed in need of further study. During elections, the council vets candidates and can disqualify those it deems unsuitable.
In a sign of the underlying discord in Iran about the nuclear agreement, some hard-line members of Parliament complained Tuesday that Ayatollah Khamenei’s office had unduly sought to assure passage of the bill endorsing the nuclear pact. One hundred amendments to change the pact were ignored in a rushed session.
The ayatollah’s office rejected the complaints, calling them false. In a statement, it admonished Iranian news media to “exercise caution in attributing reports to the supreme leader’s office.”
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 28 February 202111:05 AM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistani lookalike of Aishwarya Rai goes viral (VIDEO)10:45 AM | 28 Feb, 2021
- After Elite and Dolphin squad, Lahore police introduce another patrol ...10:15 AM | 28 Feb, 2021
- PM Imran to launch Nandana fort tourist project today09:30 AM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Covid-19: Pakistan reports 1,176 new cases, 23 deaths08:45 AM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Bilal Saeed's 'Baari' crosses 100 million views milestone on Youtube08:56 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- 'Chaar Darkht' – Ali Gul Pir trolls India in #FantasticTeaDay video05:14 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021