63-year-old man gearing up for 71st surgery of his life
Vijayan was treated in India and he is now currently braving illness in Muscat hospitals. He has already undergone seventy surgeries.
“From my toes to skull, unwanted growth happens regularly and the disease has been haunting me ever since I was 18-years old. Last year, I had three surgeries. Just one doctor in a hospital alone has done 30 surgeries on me,” Vijayan said.
Vijayan was first treated in the Trichur District Government Hospital in Kerala, India. Strangely, his siblings are living a normal life.
The 63-year-old revealed the harrowing details of his painstaking journey that impacted his economic status as well.
“As the treatment was expensive in Muscat, I used to go to India three to four times every year for surgeries. Each surgery cost me about Rs50,000 and it has financially ruined me as well" he said.
Rhinosporidiosis is a disease caused by the organism Rhinosporidium seeberi, which was once thought to be a fungus, but is now believed to be a rare aquatic protistan parasite of fish. First described in 1900 by Guillermo Seeber, it generally presents as swollen, pink or red polyps in the nasal cavity or the ocular conjunctivae.
- SC’s Justice Isa allowed to argue his case himself12:07 AM | 3 Mar, 2021
- China to gift additional 0.5 million doses of coronavirus vaccine to ...11:43 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- What a delivery! Woman orders iPhone 12 Pro Max but receives Apple ...11:32 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- Pakistan aims at vaccinating 70 million people against COVID-19 in ...11:31 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- First round matches decided in Hush Puppies Junior National Tennis11:19 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- 'Darlings’ – Alia Bhatt collaborates with Shahrukh Khan for first ...07:06 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- Mere Paas Tum Ho actor Rehmat Ajmal looks stunning on her Mayoun03:15 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- Justin Bieber celebrates 27th birthday03:25 PM | 2 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021