Goalkeeper dies after in-game collision with teammate
The 38-year-old goalkeeper collapsed after the collision at the end of the first half, when he took a blow from Brazilian midfielder Ramon Rodrigues as he rushed out to claim the ball.
Video footage showed the father of two clutching his chest in pain before he was rushed away on a stretcher and taken to hospital. Doctors said he stopped breathing and suffered a heart attack.
Choirul Huda, Indonesian goalkeeper dies!
His death results from a clash with fellow teammate during a Indonesia Liga 1 match!
RIP Choirul? pic.twitter.com/FHi4sErpRT
— George™ (@GeorgeMarkton) October 15, 2017
Medical staff hurried to his aid and he was quickly taken to the hospital.
"He was still conscious and complained of chest pain," one member of the medical staff told regional Indonesian newspaper Surya. "Then he fell unconscious."
According to Goal, Persela head coach Aji Santoso told reporters afterward that Huda had passed away: "All of the players finished the game and went to the hospital, where it was announced that Choirul Huda had died.
Thousands of fans also took to social media in memory of Huda, who had been known to Persela supporters as “One Man, One Club, One Love”.
- ‘Video’ of PSL 2022 anthem featuring Atif Aslam, Aima Baig leaked ...09:10 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- U19 World Cup: Pakistan win toss, opt to bat first against Afghanistan08:46 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Noor Mukadam case: Zahir Jaffer declared ‘physically and mentally ...08:20 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- ‘Bismillah’ – Sharmila Faruqui files cybercrime complaint ...06:49 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021