Trade activities remain suspended at Torkham for second day
The suspension came as negotiations between the protesting custom clearing agents and officials of the customs department did not bear fruit.
A local clearing agent, Naseeb Khan stated that scores of trucks loaded with goods remained stranded on both sides as customs officials could not convince the clearing agents and transporters.
'The official team assured the clearing agents that their immediate grievances would be removed at local level while other demands related to the federal government would be taken up with Islamabad,' Naseeb added.
Mr Naseeb said that the clearing agents and transporters are pressing customs agents to accept all their three demands and the impasse has resulted in a massive loss.
As the deadlock is still in place, additional trucks loaded with fresh fruit and vegetables also arrived at the Afghan side of the border though there are no visible signs of putting an end to the strike.
The transporters are not only wary of the 'unprofessional' attitude of customs officers but are also sceptical of the role played by National Logistics Cell staff.
In October, the crossing remained closed for a couple of weeks due to Afghan parliamentary elections.
- Justice Qazi Faez Isa to hear contempt case against Fawad Chaudhry on ...10:36 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan cricket squad leaves for Zimbabwe after successful South ...10:05 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Babar Azam’s ‘late glance’ shot is new sensation on social ...08:09 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas releases his rendition of Qaseedah Burdah Shareef05:59 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Mustafa Jaane Rehmat – Atif Aslam's naat crosses 1.6 million views ...05:48 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Hira and Mani celebrate 13th wedding anniversary05:41 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021