Wreckage of Argentine submarine found a year after disappearing in Atlantic
BUENOS AIRES - The wreckage of a submarine which went missing with 44 sailors on board a year ago has been located some 800 meters (2,620ft) near the Valdes Peninsula in the southern Atlantic, the country’s navy said Saturday.
RA San Juan submarine went missing on Nov. 15 last year, about 430 kilometers from the Argentine coast, with 44 crew members on board.
A massive international search was launched after the submarine went missing, but the initial rescue mission was called off after two weeks, with investigators unable to establish exactly where the submarine was lost.
But a US company Ocean Infinity, contracted by the Argentine authorities to search for the missing submarine, made discovery on Friday that they have located and positively identified the lost vessel off the Valdes Peninsula in Argentine Patagonia.
#ARASanJuan #LaBúsquedaContinúa Actualización: La empresa informó nuevo punto de interés en el Sitio 1 área 15A-4, a 800 mts de profundidad. El punto de interés tiene una dimensión de 60 mts de longitud. Hora de arribo al área para iniciar investigación 19:00 hs aproximadamente. pic.twitter.com/l5k8p8Zjye— Armada Argentina (@Armada_Arg) November 16, 2018
"Through the observation made with an ROV at 800 meters deep, positive identification has been given to #AraSanJuan," the Argentine Navy tweeted.
The San Juan was returning from a mission to Ushuaia—a city at the southernmost tip of South America—when it reported an “electrical breakdown.” Naval commander Gabriel Galeazzi said the ship surfaced and its crew explained they had a “short circuit” in the vessel’s batteries.
- FM Qureshi inaugurates new Pakistan embassy building in Doha11:23 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- PSL 2020 – Match 11: Peshawar Zalmi beat Lahore Qalandars by 16 runs11:13 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- At least 30 dead, dozens injured in Rohri train crash11:07 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- UN alarmed after ongoing anti-Muslim violence leaves 42 dead in India10:54 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Fracture rules Bismah Maroof out of ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 202010:41 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Canada will no longer pay for Harry and Meghan's security03:56 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Here's what Navin Waqar does to stay fit03:36 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Scientists think they know how stress causes grey hair03:04 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019