Indian soldier kills officer on LoC over mobile phone row
Major Shekhar Thapa of 8 Rashtriya Rifles was killed by a fellow soldier in Uri sector of the Line of Control (LoC) which divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan, the police said.
A soldier who had been told not to use the mobile phone while on duty fired several shots at the officer, police sources added. Major Thapa died instantly.
Defence Ministry spokesman Colonel Rajesh Kalia said in a statement: "In an unfortunate incident at one of the forward posts in Uri sector, an Army officer was killed in firing by one of the jawans after an altercation.
"The officer succumbed to his injuries on the spot. Further investigations by the Army and police are underway."
Fratricidal killings have occurred in the past as well among security forces in Jammu and Kashmir.
Some of the reasons cited for such incidents are long periods of separation from families, working under constant stress and lack of recreational facilities for the troopers.
Counsellors engaged by security forces to address the problem have also cited lack of command and control among the deployed forces as a reason.
- In a historic first, people with mental illness allowed to open a ...07:58 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Finance Minister Shaukat Tarin ‘to run for Senate’07:15 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- PSL 2021 – Peshawar Zalmi take on Quetta Gladiators tonight06:41 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Saudi Arabia cancels Hajj for international pilgrims over COVID-19 ...06:11 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Waseem Abbas reflects on Mahira Khan-Firdous Jamal controversy04:44 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- Shah Rukh Khan gets back to work for 'Pathan' shooting04:20 PM | 12 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021