Indian Supreme Court orders BJP bigwigs including LK Advani to face trial in Babri Mosque demolition case
The Supreme Court stated that the trial will be held in the northern city of Lucknow and should be concluded in a period of two years. A lower court had earlier dropped conspiracy charges against senior party leaders including LK Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharti but the latest ruling has restored the charges, which can potentially prove problematic for these veterans figures.
Kalyan Singh, who was the chief minister of Utter Pradesh at the time of incident, has been given immunity as he currently serves as Rajasthan Governor and so can only be tried after he leaves office.
In addition, the trial judge hearing the Babri mosque case shall not be transferred till the judgement is delivered as per the verdict given by the Supreme Court.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) argued before the court that it has evidence that the leaders, who made their speeches on a stage near the mosque on the day that it was razed, were part of a plan to bring down the mosque and that they should, therefore, be tried along with about 20 others in Lucknow who are charged with the actual destruction of the mosque.
The demolition of the mosque came after a movement was led in part by Mr Advani seeking a temple to be built on the same spot where the masjid was constructed by the Mughals. Many Hindus believe that the mosque was built over the birthplace of Lord Ram and so they wanted a temple to be built there.
The razing of the mosque on December 6, 1992 led to religious riots across India that left at least 2,000 people dead. The case has been languishing in India's legal system for almost 25 years.
- Sri Lanka receives first COVID-19 vaccines shipment from COVAX08:28 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- PIA launches direct flights to Baku07:42 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Bilawal visits Hamza and Chaudhary Brothers in Lahore07:06 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Bigg Boss 14 fame Arshi Khan all set for debut in Bollywood01:10 PM | 7 Mar, 2021
- Canadian biker girl Rosie Gabrielle ties the knot with Pakistani ...10:16 AM | 7 Mar, 2021
- 10 celebrities who are left-handed05:11 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021