After Meesha Shafi, more women have started saying #MeToo
The debate hasn't been pretty or all that civil, with people defending Ali Zafar by running a smear campaign against Meesha Shafi.
Equating a woman's attire with her "not caring" about being sexually harassed is NOT OKAY.
However, on the other side there are many who rightly believe in giving the victim the benefit of the doubt and have far better arguments too;
PHYSICAL HARASSMENT KA PROOF KAHAN SE AAYEGA BHAI CAMERAY THORI LAGAY HEIN HAR JIGAH KUCH SOCH SAMAJH KE DISREGARD KIYA KARO MATLAB KUCH BHI BOL DETE HO— Faizan. (@thoraoffbeat) April 19, 2018
Remember that #MeeshaShafi could tell her story because she is privileged in certain ways: she's married, has strong family support, is an established artist.— Hamna Zubair (@hamnazubair) April 19, 2018
If it's difficult for her to speak out imagine what a younger, greener artist has to face?
Now, another woman has come forward with her own harrowing account of being harassed by Ali Zafar at an event she attended almost two years ago.
Whether Ali Zafar has been rightly accused or not, the fact of the matter is, should women's accounts and stories be completely disregarded because of what they wear or do? Or should there be greater emphasis on holding powerful men accountable for their actions.
Or even just listening to victims of sexual harassment and not turning a blind eye to their plight just because the perpetrator might now be our favourite musician.
Something to think about.
Interestingly, there's not a lot of noise on my TL after Meesha's statement about Ali. The habitually outraged brigade is uncharacteristically silent. I wonder why.— Mehr Tarar (@MehrTarar) April 19, 2018
B/c the accuser & the accused are stars? (Can sue slanderers, yes).
B/c one story is more important than the other?
- Ferozsons Laboratories salutes Healthcare Heroes by lighting National ...11:52 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Pakistan Army captain among three soldiers martyred in Waziristan ...11:02 PM | 5 May, 2021
- 100 DG Khan students graduate from US-funded English Access program10:09 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Negligence in serving expats unacceptable, PMImran tells Pakistani ...09:49 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Saboor Aly shares a heartwarming video from her Baat Paki celebration02:50 PM | 5 May, 2021
- Nazish Jahangir sheds light on the controversy with Mohsin Abbas ...02:10 PM | 5 May, 2021