Aamina Sheikh, Sanam Saeed's Cake out of Oscar's list
The news was confirmed after the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences on Monday announced that nine films have advanced to the next round of voting in the foreign language category.
Aamina Sheikh and Sanam Saeed's starrer had gained huge success locally and internationally too and the movie was also submitted by the “Pakistan Academy Selection Committee” for Oscar considerations under the ‘Foreign Language Film’ category. But sadly, the Pakistani movie failed to clear the process.
Here is the list of the films that got shortlisted and proceeded to the next stage:
Birds of Passage, (Colombia)
The Guilty, (Denmark)
Never Look Away, (Germany)
Cold War, (Poland)
Burning, (South Korea)
Earlier, the jury members of the Oscar committee in Los Angeles had announced that they would be adding Asim Abbasi directorial in their list. One of the lead actress in Cake, Aamina Sheikh had attended the special screening and had also shared her joy in an Instagram post:
Cake is based on the complexities of love, loss, and the time-bound consequences arising within families. The core of the story revolves around two sisters. Zareen (played by Aamina Sheikh) supports her eccentric parents in Pakistan while her sibling Zara (played by Sanam Saeed) pursues her life with a busy career and troubled marriage abroad.
A medical emergency is the catalyst for a reunion, bringing up long-held resentments and unveiling carefully hidden secrets. It opened to great reviews and viewership at the start of 2018.
Another project by Pakistani-Norwegian filmmaker Iram Haq, titled What Will People Say, is also out of the competition.
- Pakistan expecting rollover of $2bn SAFE deposits from China12:10 PM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Pakistan reports another polio case, taking year's tally to 2011:44 AM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Twitter withholds Govt of Pakistan’s official account in India11:22 AM | 1 Oct, 2022
- Japan’s wrestling legend turned politician Antonio Inoki passes ...10:48 AM | 1 Oct, 2022
- 'First-ever Indian singer to have his own private island with a lake, ...10:14 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Saim Sadiq's Joyland nominated for Oscars by Pakistani Academy ...08:09 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Fawad Khan and Hamza Ali Abbasi exchange banter on live show11:59 PM | 30 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022