India imposes President's rule in occupied Jammu and Kashmir
The new ruling system in the occupied region where Indian forces ‘atrocities are on the rise will be imposed from Thursday (December 20), Indian media reported.
The Union Cabinet has given the go-ahead for President’s rule after it was recommended by Governor Satya Pal Malik.
A communication from the governor’s office was sent to the Union Home Ministry and subsequently, it was sent to the cabinet with the proposal for its approval.
Indian President Ram Nath Kovind will have to issue a proclamation declaring that the powers of the legislature of the state shall be exercisable by or under the authority of the Parliament, India Today reported.
A political crisis marred the occupied land in June this year when 25 members of the Bhartiya Janta Party (BJP) withdrew support from People's Democratic Party (PDP) chief Mehbooba Mufti-led coalition government, making it a minority.
Following the crisis, a six-month-long Governor rule, which is compulsory under Article 92 of the state’s Constitution, was imposed and the legislative powers were vested the Governor.
The Governor has to dissolve the Legislative Assembly after six months. The state then directly comes under President's rule for another six months after which elections have to be held in the region.
The President’s rule can be extended for another six months if elections are not held, while it cannot be remained in force for more than three years except for the intervention of Election Commission of India which has to certify that the proclamation is need of the hour due to difficulties in holding the elections.
The governor on November 21 dissolved the 87-member legislative assembly after the PDP, supported by the Congress and their arch-rivals National Conference, had staked their claim to form the government.
- Pakistan launches first ever animal rights curriculum05:58 PM | 9 Dec, 2022
- TikToker Ayesha Akram faces arrest for defying court orders in ...05:35 PM | 9 Dec, 2022
- Inside the lavish wedding of Fazila Qazi and Qaisar Khan Nizamani's ...05:09 PM | 9 Dec, 2022
- Fajr Sheikh’s workout video goes viral09:05 AM | 9 Dec, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list? ...10:48 AM | 8 Dec, 2022
- Top 10 most searched people on Google in Pakistan in 202206:07 PM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Pakistan's first female Supreme Court judge earns place in BBC '100 ...01:24 PM | 7 Dec, 2022
- Karachi among world’s least expensive cities in new report09:30 PM | 2 Dec, 2022