US sanctions two Iranian judges for issuing 'cruel sentences' against nationals
WASHINGTON – The US on Thursday imposed sanctions on two top judges of Iran refer over what it calls cruel judgements against Iranian nationals and dual nationals for exercising their freedoms of expression or assembly.
Abolghassem Salavati, the head of the 15th branch of the Islamic Revolutionary Court in Tehran, and Mohammad Moghisseh, the head of 28th branch of the Revolutionary Court, have been designated by The Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), said a press release.
The two judges, according to the US department, have punished Iranian citizens and dual-nationals for exercising their freedoms of expression or assembly. “In many cases, these judges sentenced political prisoners to death”.
The official statement added that the two judges penalized “journalists, attorneys, political activists, and members of Iran’s ethnic and religious minority groups” for exercising their freedom of expression and assembly and sentenced to lengthy prison terms, lashes, and even execution.
“The United States will not be a bystander to ongoing oppression and injustice in Iran. This Administration is targeting those in the regime who seek to censor protestors, persecute religious minorities, and silence the Iranian people,” said Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin. “The United States stands with those who participate in peaceful public dissent and protests.”
All property and interests in property of these persons designated today subject to U.S. jurisdiction are blocked, and U.S persons are generally prohibited from engaging in transactions with them. In addition, foreign financial institutions that knowingly facilitate significant transactions for, or persons that provide material or certain other support to, the individuals designated today risk exposure to sanctions that could sever their access to the U.S. financial system or block their property and interests in property under U.S. jurisdiction.
- SHC overturns Omar Sheikh’s death sentence, acquits 3 in US ...12:14 PM | 2 Apr, 2020
- Punjab wants to trial anti-malaria drug on coronavirus patients11:51 AM | 2 Apr, 2020
- COVID19: Pakistan confirms 31 deaths; Coronavirus cases exceed 2,20011:22 AM | 2 Apr, 2020
- WB approves additional financing of $700m for Dasu power project10:45 AM | 2 Apr, 2020
- COVID-19: Over 5,100 died in US, global death toll rises to over ...10:03 AM | 2 Apr, 2020
- Hareem Shah to host a Ramazan transmission?04:25 PM | 1 Apr, 2020
- Van Gogh painting stolen from museum during virus shutdown04:03 PM | 1 Apr, 2020
- Kim Kardashian shares BTS of the nasty fight with sister Kourtney and ...04:01 PM | 1 Apr, 2020
- Pakistani student gives birth to baby girl in Wuhan, China04:00 PM | 15 Mar, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019