India rejects Pakistan stance over controversial mapping bill on Kashmir
"We don't take cognizance of Pakistan's objection to the draft bill," he said.
He added: "We will take suggestions and views of citizens, experts and various stakeholders before the Bill's finalization. But it is the duty of the government that India's map is depicted properly," Indian Union Minister Kiren Rijiju told reporters in Delhi.
Rijiju's comments came after Pakistan expressed serious concerns at the United Nations over the draft bill, under which the disputed territory of Kahsmir must be depicted as part of India, and called upon the world body to stop passage of the law in India, as it is in "violation of international law".
According to the Indian minister, the 'Geospatial Information Regulation Bill 2016' is still in the conceptual stage, and will be discussed by the Union Cabinet before being tabled in Parliament.
As per the draft legislation, the Indian government will be able to penalize individuals and organizations who depict Jammu and Kashmir as a disputed territory in Indian maps.
Wrong depiction of the map of India could land the violators in jail with a maximum term of seven years and impose a fine up to Rs 100 crore, according the version of the Bill currently under consideration by the Indian Cabinet.
Under the controversial bill, it will be mandatory to take permission from a government authority before acquiring, disseminating, publishing or distributing any geospatial information of India.
- PIA announces Pakistan's Hajj flights plan08:40 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Rabia Butt reveals why she has not tied the knot yet07:30 PM | 27 May, 2022
- TikToker Dolly's bail plea in forest fire case dismissed by Islamabad ...06:09 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022