ADB approves $300m for Pakistan to fight coronavirus
ISLAMABAD – The Asian Development Bank (ADB) will give Pakistan a $300 million emergency assistance loan to boost the country's response to the coronavirus pandemic.
"The COVID-19 pandemic is having a significant detrimental impact on the health and economic prospects of the people of Pakistan,” a press release from the ADB quoted its Vice-President Shixin Chen as saying.
“Financing through this project will fast-track ADB’s assistance to strengthen Pakistan’s public health capabilities, provide immediate support to vulnerable women and their families, and facilitate knowledge sharing with Pakistan's neighbors and other countries in the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation region,” it said further.
The ADB will provide direct cash assistance for the benefit of women in poor households via the Ehsaas Emergency Cash Assistance Package.
The loan is designed to meet the basic food needs and necessary living expenses of poor and vulnerable women and families in the South Asian country, an ADB official said.
The number of coronavirus cases in Pakistan rose to a total of 44,996 according to government data till Tuesday evening. The death toll related to COVID-19 has reached 948, according to the National Command and Control Centre, while at least 12,604 patients have fully recovered.
Pakistan approaches 93,894 cases of coronavirus ... 09:20 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
LAHORE – The number of coronavirus cases in Pakistan rose to a total of 93,894, according to government data till ...
- One boy died, another badly hurt due to dogs biting02:25 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Brace Yourselves for the Live Broadcast Launch of TECNO’s Spark 5 ...01:19 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Sindh launches online education for primary schools amid COVID-1912:29 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: Hafeez urges int'l agencies for evaluating losses to ...11:11 AM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Naveed Raza urges people to stop denying the existence of coronavirus06:51 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020