Pakistan shoots down Iran's 'spy' drone in Balochistan
The incident is the first of its kind in the history of two Islamic neighbors, which share a 900 kilometre long porous border.
The drone’s downing was reported during an emergency flag meeting between Pakistani and Iranian officials following the unprovoked firing of several mortar shells into Pakistani territory over the weekend.
According to sources, the drone was on a spying mission inside Pakistan and its debris has been collected for verification after being shot down.
Confirmed: Iranian spy drone shot down by PAF JF17 over Panjgur, Balochistan 45km inside Pak territory.— Wajahat S. Khan | کوئٹہ کا پٹھان (@WajSKhan) June 20, 2017
New front opening?
On Sunday, Iranian border security forces launched several mortar shells near Prom, an area of Panjgur. No casualty has been reported.
On May 27, a mortar shell fired from the Iranian side in Panjgur district of Balochistan had killed one person.
On May 21, at least five mortar shells were fired into Taftan, Balochistan from the Iranian border.
“Pakistan has already shared the information about striking down of this drone with the Iranian authorities indicating that the drone was struck down by our security forces as it was unmarked and there was no prior information about its flight,” the Foreign Office said in a statement Wednesday, confirming the Tuesday's incident.
Iranian drone downed in Syria
Meanwhile on Tuesday, CNN reported that a US F-15 jet had shot down an armed Iranian drone in Syria on Monday.
= 2nd downed #Iran drone in 2 weeks.
— Charles Lister (@Charles_Lister) June 20, 2017
Pak-Iran border tensions
The two countries had in 2014 decided to boost intelligence coordination to wipe out terrorists from the border region.
Pakistan, as part of its counter-terrorism efforts, has recently also stepped up border management in an attempt to better check cross-border movement of suspected terrorists.
Work on the Rs20 million Pakistan Gate in Taftan along the Pak-Iran border was completed in 2016. This border crossing point is the oldest trade route to Iran and Europe and thousands of foreigners and locals travelling to Europe and Iran by road each year use this crossing point.
- 'Terrorism has no religion’, says PM Imran in CBC interview (VIDEO)10:15 AM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Punjab budget to be unveiled today with a likely outlay of Rs 2650bn09:33 AM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - 14 June 202109:15 AM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 14 June 202108:02 AM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Hira Mani opens up about supporting Asim Azhar during recent ...05:40 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic leaves fans stunned with sizzling beach ...03:37 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- Tiger Shroff’s mother Ayesha wishes Disha Patani on her birthday12:49 PM | 13 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021