Afghanistan elections 2018: Cops among 15 killed as suicide bomber strikes polling station in Kabul
Voting should have been concluded by the time the attacker struck in an area to the north of Kabul, but polling stations were kept open longer than normal to cope with large numbers of people who had been unable to vote.
More than 25 others were wounded, according to reports in local media.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Taliban armed group has issued a series of statements telling people not to take part in what they consider a foreign-imposed process and warning election centres may be attacked.
The polls opened at 7 a.m. local time (0230GMT), with some reported delays, and continued till 4 p.m (1130GMT).
President Ashraf Ghani and First Lady Rula Ghani cast their votes. Speaking to reporters, the president said that efforts were underway to hold elections in two provinces Ghazni and Kandahar where the poll was postponed due to law and order situation.
According to the country’s election authority, at least 8.8 million people were expected to vote for 2,500 candidates who are running for the Wolesi Jirga (lower house of the parliament).
Afghans go to polls amid serious security concerns 01:23 PM | 20 Oct, 2018
KABUL - Voting for the long-due Afghan parliamentary elections began Saturday amid tight security.The polls opened at 7 ...
More than 70,000 security personnel have been assigned to ensure the security of the parliamentary elections, the Ministry of Interior and Defence said.
The Independent Election Commission (IEC), the body overseeing the ballot, said voting hours would be extended in some centres to cope with demand and some polling stations, which had not opened at all, would be open on Sunday.
- Pakistan reports no polio case in six months02:08 PM | 27 Jul, 2021
- US formally ends combat mission in Iraq after 18 years01:20 PM | 27 Jul, 2021
- All 'unnecessary movement' restricted in Karachi after 6pm as Covid ...12:47 PM | 27 Jul, 2021
- Pakistan amicably repatriates 46 Afghan soldiers who crossed border ...12:24 PM | 27 Jul, 2021
- Budding Pakistani singer accused of sexually assaulting woman in ...11:26 PM | 26 Jul, 2021
- Jennifer Lopez celebrates 52nd birthday with Ben Affleck04:36 PM | 26 Jul, 2021
- Pakistani bride's super dancing entry goes viral (VIDEO)03:37 PM | 26 Jul, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021