Dollar ticks up despite US rate hike uncertainty
In Tokyo, the greenback bought 119.45 yen, up from 119.22 yen in New York and sharply higher from 118.62 yen in Tokyo earlier Monday.
The euro was mixed, slipping to $1.0724 from $1.0741 while it strengthened slightly to 128.07 yen against 128.05 yen in US trade.
The rise in the dollar came despite a key Federal Reserve official suggesting a US rate hike could be pushed back beyond mid-year.
New York Fed President William C. Dudley said recent inflation data was not strong enough to warrant a near-term rise, even though economic growth was healthy.
"The Fed will likely start tightening later in the year, and there's a strong appetite in Japan for foreign portfolio and direct investments," said Taisuke Tanaka, Deutsche Bank's chief currency strategist in Tokyo.
"We continue to recommend buying the dollar-yen on dips." The euro remained under pressure after falling Monday on growing worries about Greece's future in the eurozone, as Athens looks to secure billions of euros in bailout cash to pay its enormous debts.
With its creditors refusing to extend a repayment deadline while also haggling over its bailout reforms, the Greek government has ordered all public agencies to hand over their financial reserves.
"Markets are recognising Greece as a risk factor as everybody knows the tight financing situation," Keisuke Hino, a foreign-exchange trader at Mizuho Bank, told Bloomberg News.
"Markets expect a default to be avoided but they have to keep the risk in mind."
- US should systematically withdraw from Afghanistan: FM Qureshi12:14 PM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan will ‘absolutely not’ hand its bases to US: PM Imran ...11:39 AM | 19 Jun, 2021
- EU invites PM Imran for state visit – first for any Pakistani head ...10:30 AM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...10:00 AM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan reports lowest daily COVID-19 cases since March08:50 AM | 19 Jun, 2021
- Bollywood diva Anushka Sharma spotted enjoying English summer05:55 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Lovebirds Nimra and Asad give major holiday goals with latest clicks03:13 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Take a tour of Meesha Shafi's Canadian bungaloft04:36 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021