India introduces anti-smog cannon in fight against Delhi pollution
The cannon’s Indian manufacturers say the fine droplets of water it ejects at high speed can flush out deadly airborne pollutants in one of the world’s smoggiest capitals.
The device – shaped like a hair dryer and mounted on a flatbed truck – was tested in Anand Vihar, an area of Delhi’s east bordering an industrial zone that often boasts the dirtiest air.
The US embassy website on Wednesday showed concentrations of the smallest and most harmful particles, known as PM2.5, registered 380 at Anand Vihar – more than 15 times the World Health Organisation’s safe maximum.
The cannon – designed to combat dust on mining and construction sites – costs roughly $31,000 but government officials appear ready to open the cheque book.
“If it proves to be successful, then we will roll these out on Delhi’s streets as soon as possible,” Imran Hussain, Delhi’s environment minister, said in Anand Vihar as the cannon spurted mist under hazy skies.
Its manufacturer, Cloud Tech, said it can blast up to 100 litres of water per minute into the skies and clear 95% of airborne pollutants.
Greenpeace said the cannon was a distraction from the root causes of Delhi’s winter pollution, a phenomenon so bad the city’s own chief minister described it as a “gas chamber”.
Delhi chokes every winter as cool air traps a toxic blend of pollutants from crop burning, car exhausts, open fires, construction dust and industrial emissions close to the ground.-Online
- Britain puts army on standby as fuel supply crisis deepens amid panic ...11:37 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Security forces kill 10 terrorists including four commanders in ...10:49 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Taliban warn US, others against ‘encroaching on Afghan airspace’10:26 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Imran’s cabinet announces major decision about moon sighting ...09:48 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Young doctor shot dead by robbers upon resistance in Lahore’s ...09:05 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- American superstar R. Kelly found guilty in sex trafficking trial04:59 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Famous YouTubers Shomaila and Hassam part ways04:09 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Watch - Ali Zafar shares BTS fun video from ‘Larsha Pekhawar’ ...03:00 PM | 28 Sep, 2021