Muslim man beaten to death by Indian mob on suspicion of cow smuggling
Akbar Khan, 28, was beaten to death by the group on Friday evening in the northwest of Rajasthan state while transporting cows through a village around 160km from the state capital Jaipur.
The mob intercepted Khan and another man on foot who were herding two cows at around midnight Friday in a forested area. The angry men began punching and beating the duo with sticks. One managed to escape while Khan was taken to a hospital, where doctors declared him dead on arrival.
Vasundhara Raje, Rajasthan's chief minister, described the attack as "condemnable" in a tweet, adding those who carried out the attack would face the "strictest possible action".
The incident of alleged lynching of a person transporting bovines in Alwar district is condemnable. Strictest possible action shall be taken against the perpetrators.— Vasundhara Raje (@VasundharaBJP) July 21, 2018
Rajasthan's police inspector general, Hemant Priyadarshi, told the Indian media that two suspects had been arrested after initially being detained for questioning.
The incident came 15 months after the killing of another Muslim man, Pehlu Khan, by a mob in Rajasthan while he was transporting cows in the area last April.
Last month, two Muslim men were lynched in eastern Jharkhand state on charges of cattle theft.
Muslim man hacked to death, burnt in India for ... 06:45 PM | 7 Dec, 2017
JAIPUR - Police in the north-western Indian state of Rajasthan have arrested a Hindu man who hacked a Muslim man to ...
The animals are considered sacred by the country's Hindu-majority population and squads of "cow protection" vigilantes are known to roam highways, inspecting livestock trucks for any trace of the animal.
- Iran ready to talks with Saudi Arabia, Gulf countries: Javad Zarif12:02 AM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Imran Khan discusses digital media with youth at PM House09:59 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- AJK snowfall: Neelum, Leepa, Bhedi declared calamity-hit areas09:50 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FO summons Indian diplomat to reject mischievous portrayal of ...08:58 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FM Qureshi reaches Qatar after conclusion of successful US visit08:51 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019