Aleema Khan didn’t pay any tax or fine on offshore assets: Report
A Karachi-based news website claims that the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) recently submitted a detailed report to Minister of State for Revenue Hammad Azhar, in which Aleema is found to have taken benefit from the amnesty scheme launched during the PML-N government.
The National Courier quoted a senior FBR officer as saying that Aleema, under the amnesty scheme introduced by the PML-N government, declared her illegal assets but she has not paid any tax or fine of 50 percent of the total cost of illegal assets so far.
Ms Khan's assets in the country and abroad were automatically assumed to be illegal when she used amnesty scheme for the legalization of her properties, the official added.
As per the media report, in a reply to a notice under section 122, Aleema maintains that while attaining protection under the constitution she could not be asked about her ‘sources of income’ under the amnesty scheme.
The daughter of former prime minister Benazir Bhutto and ex-president Asif Ali Zardari took to Twitter to criticise Aleema over this issue:
What does irony mean again ? “sources of income’ could not be asked of her declared assets” https://t.co/E5pY9Jzmvs
— Bakhtawar B-Zardari (@BakhtawarBZ) November 21, 2018
Last week, it was reported that PM Imran Khan's sister has paid penalty on her undeclared posh Dubai property to avoid any legal consequences.
Aleema was reportedly slapped with a double penalty (taxes and fine) for failing to disclose the property ‘The Lofts East-1406’ worth around Rs74 million.
Aleema Khan owns a luxurious flat tucked near Burj Khalifa, the most expensive area in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), however, the total amount deposited is not yet clear.
Terming it 'a National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO)', Pakistan Muslim League–Nawaz (PML-N) leader Marriyum Aurangzeb questioned on what conditions Aleema Khan was granted an NRO.
Criticising the prime minister, the PML-N leader said, “Someone who keeps calling others thieves, has given a thief sitting in his home an NRO and the reason she has been given an NRO is that Imran is behind her theft.”
“We should be informed regarding the sources from which the property was bought and how the money was laundered to Dubai from Pakistan," she asserted.
It was further stated in the report that nine benamidaars have been identified as well as 150 extremely rich individuals who own properties worth Rs30 billion.
‘900 Pakistanis illegally own properties in Dubai,’ the report highlighted.
- Saudi women can now live on their own without male guardian approval10:10 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- Budget 2021 – Pakistan withdraws proposed tax on internet data usage09:50 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- Budget 2021-22: Every household to get Rs500,000 interest free ...09:29 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- Budget 2021-22: Pakistan allocates handsome funds to wrestle with ...09:12 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- Here’s how ‘detective’ Muneeb Butt caught a thief (VIDEO)03:26 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- Maya Ali all set to launch her clothing line02:27 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- Riz Ahmed wishes to change Hollywood's representation of Muslims05:30 PM | 11 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Pakistani FM reaches Turkey on diplomatic mission to highlight ...05:56 PM | 18 May, 2021