Why are students of Ghana University protesting against Gandhi?
Referring to Gandhi’s early writings where he termed black Africans as “Kaffir”, the group has accused the Indian hero of being "racist" towards Africans.
In an online petition, Ghanaian academics led by Akosua Adomako Ampofo urged authorities to facilitate "the removal of the statue of Gandhi from the campus.”
“How will the historian teach and explain that Gandhi was uncharitable in his attitude towards the black race and see that we’re glorifying him by erecting a statue on our campus?” wrote a professor in the petition.
The campaigners have been raising slogans like ‘Gandhi Must Fall’ and ‘Gandhi For Come Down’.
But Ocqauye, a professor of political science and a lawyer, said a decision to demolish the statue might have implications on diplomatic ties between Ghana and India.
“It will be most unnecessary, most uncalled for and not in the supreme interest of Ghanaians and we must know what serves our interest best,” he said.
The petitioners referred to Gandhi’s open letter to “The Natal Mercury” in 1894, saying he called black Africans as “kaffirs,” a derogatory term for black people.
“A general belief seems to prevail in the Colony that the Indians are little better, if at all, than savages or the Natives of Africa. Even the children are taught to believe in that manner, with the result that the Indian is being dragged down to the position of a raw Kaffir,” they quoted Gandhi as saying in the letter.
- Ex-judge to head Pakistan probe into Broadsheet case09:21 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Celebs call out 'elite aunties' of Cannoli for demeaning their café ...08:45 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan Army chief hails tireless efforts of ISI for national ...08:25 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan launches issuance of Letters of Administration and ...07:56 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Bollywood remembers Sushant Singh Rajput on birth anniversary05:21 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Wedding festivities kick in for Bakhtawar-Mahmood as groom lands in ...04:36 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Netflix crosses 200 million subscribers06:39 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021