World's first 'sky pool' will connect London towers
The pool, nicknamed "Sky Pool", has been described as a world first and will feature a transparent bottom.
It will allow swimmers to peer down on passers-by from a height of 35m, the BBC reported.
Eckersley O'Callaghan, the firm which has worked with Apple on the design of its stores around the world, will engineer the project.
The pool is part of a luxury property development called Embassy Gardens at Nine Elms, near Battersea power station.
It's hoped that it will be complete by the summer of 2019, but the concept does not come without challenges - especially given that the pool will be subject to forces exerted on it by the two adjacent buildings, which have been constructed on separate foundations.
"They move slightly differently in the wind so one big problem is that we're trying to span potentially a fragile structure between these two buildings that are moving separately," engineer Brian Eckersley told the BBC.
Bearings will support the structure and allow for some degree of movement. However, the pressure of the water against the sides of the pool also needs to be considered.
"You've got the sides trying to burst apart as well as the weight of the water being carried by the structure," he said. "And you have to transfer all these loads to supporting buildings while they themselves have a tendency to move around relative to each other."
Mr Eckersley added that the swimming pool would not be made from glass but rather transparent acrylic - a type of plastic.
"Using acrylic, you end up with a more transparent overall structure because its refractive index is similar to that of water - you don't get that distortion at the interface between the material and water that you get with glass."
- ‘Another dark day in Pakistan’s history,’ PTI reacts to Maryam ...06:13 PM | 29 Sep, 2022
- Here’s how PM Shehbaz greeted Maryam Nawaz after acquittal in ...05:41 PM | 29 Sep, 2022
- Hareem Farooq’s new sizzling photos set internet on fire05:00 PM | 29 Sep, 2022
- Pakistan, India lose ranking on UN’s human development index07:32 PM | 10 Sep, 2022
- Movies lineup for 2022-23 in Pakistan08:01 PM | 1 Sep, 2022
- Pakistani passport ranked 4th worst on list of 19911:59 PM | 23 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022