UN chief extends warmest wishes to Muslims on Ramazan’s eve
UNITED NATIONS – In his message to Muslims around the world who will be observing the holy month of Ramazan amid the coronavirus pandemic, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has said the Islamic tradition of hospitality and generosity was a remarkable lesson at a time when people in conflict zones and vulnerable populations face dire consequences.
“This will, of course, be a very different Ramazan. Many community activities will naturally be affected by measures to combat the COVID-19 pandemic,” he said in the message released on Thursday in which he extended his “warmest wishes” to Muslims.
“Meanwhile,” the UN chief said, “many people in conflict zones will once again be tragically marking this month with war and insecurity all around.”
“I recently called for an immediate global ceasefire to focus on our common enemy — the virus. I repeat that appeal today, recalling the words of the Holy Quran ‘and if they incline to peace, then incline to it’. ”
Underscoring that Ramazan is about supporting the most vulnerable, Guterres expressed appreciation for governments and people throughout the Muslim world who live by their faith, supporting those fleeing conflict in the best Islamic tradition of hospitality and generosity a remarkable lesson in this world where so many doors have been closed to those in need of protection, even before COVID-19.
“Once again, my best wishes to all for mercy, solidarity and compassion in these trying times,” he said.
1st Ramadan-ul-Mubark on Saturday, announces ... 09:57 PM | 23 Apr, 2020
ISLAMABAD – The moon of Ramzan-ul-Mubarak has not been sighted anywhere in the country and 1st Ramzan-ul-Mubark ...
The COVID-19 has so far infected more than 2.6 million people and killed over 183,330.
- Pakistan marks “World No Tobacco Day” today11:49 AM | 31 May, 2020
- NDMA activates another two separate hotlines to counter locust, ...11:27 AM | 31 May, 2020
- At least 7 killed, 30 injured after Multan-bound bus overturns near ...10:31 AM | 31 May, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 69,000 cases of coronavirus – 1,483 confirmed ...10:19 AM | 31 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Kylie Jenner is not a billionaire, says Forbes03:09 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Grammy-winning artists from 7 countries collaborate for a Pakistani ...05:16 PM | 29 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020