Dollar firms as Fed seen hiking rate this year
The greenback also gained as US and European stock markets piled up losses on economic growth concerns and Volkswagen’s escalating emissions scandal.
“The widespread gains in the US dollar confirm that rate hike expectations are a big driver of today’s move in currencies,” said Kathy Lien of BK Asset Management.
The euro fell to $1.1132 from $1.1195 Monday, but the dollar struggled against the Japanese currency, dropping to 120.14 yen from 120.54 yen.
The dollar had taken a hit after the Fed left unchanged its zero-level benchmark rate last Thursday. But since then, Fed officials have talked up a rate hike.
Dennis Lockhart, head of the Atlanta Fed and a member of the policy-setting Federal Open Market Committee, on Monday insisted that a hike was still on the table for this year.
“After a round of hawkish remarks from Fed members since the weekend, many are giving the central bank the benefit of the doubt that rates could rise before the end of the year, buoying the dollar,” said Joe Manimbo of Western Union Business Solutions.
As for the euro, the single currency remained under pressure, a day ahead of testimony by European Central Bank chief Mario Draghi to the European Parliament.
- Top Court rejects Sindh govt appeal, directs to release Omar Sheikh01:45 PM | 28 Jan, 2021
- ADB approves $10bn for economic recovery of Pakistan12:53 PM | 28 Jan, 2021
- ‘Don’t lie to me’: India’s top cardiologist gets wife’s ...12:28 PM | 28 Jan, 2021
- Biden: 'We can't wait any longer' to address climate crisis12:03 PM | 28 Jan, 2021
- Prayer leader butchered inside house in Lahore’s Shalimar11:54 AM | 28 Jan, 2021
- Natasha Ali shares her wedding pictures with fans07:43 PM | 27 Jan, 2021
- Faysal Qureshi reacts to news of couple confessing to sexually ...07:32 PM | 27 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Muneeb Butt shares a heartwarming father-son moment03:57 PM | 27 Jan, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021