Muslim pilgrims converge on Arafat today
These also include 143,368 from Pakistan who are performing Hajj under government and private Hajj schemes.
All pilgrims, clad in the same dress called Ahram, moved from the holy city of Makkah to nearby Mina for the start of Hajj rituals on Tuesday. They spent the night at Mina under the open sky before moving to Arafat today (Wednesday) morning for performance of the main ritual of Hajj, called Waqoof.
Mount Arafat, a rocky hill on a vast plain, is where Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) gave his final sermon after leading his followers on the Hajj.
The first day of the Hajj is known as Tarwiah Day, when pilgrims traditionally watered their animals and stocked water for their trip to Mount Arafat, about 10 kilometres southeast of Mina.
The Hujjaj (pilgrims) after the Waqoof Arafat will spend the whole night in the open sky at Muzadalfa where they will offer their Maghrib and Isha prayers and spend the night in prayers.
The Hajj is among the five pillars of Islam and every capable Muslim must perform the pilgrimage at least once in his or her life.
About 100,000 police have been deployed to secure the pilgrimage sites and manage the crowds, and Saudi authorities say they are on alert for possible attacks by extremists.
- Pakistan’s Department of Explosive officers dismissed for ...06:37 PM | 21 Apr, 2021
- PAKvZIM – Rizwan stars as Pakistan trounce Zimbabwe in first T20I05:31 PM | 21 Apr, 2021
- TLP chief Saad Hussain Rizvi still under arrest: Sheikh Rasheed05:27 PM | 21 Apr, 2021
- Ali Haider all set to host show for NTV Houston03:50 PM | 21 Apr, 2021
- Junoon goes Inquilaab! PM Imran uses Bollywood reference to show ...05:06 PM | 21 Apr, 2021
- Celebrity babies born in 202105:19 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021