Gold strikes two-year high on Brexit vote
The precious metal spiked as high as $1,359.08 per ounce - the highest level reached since March 19, 2014 - before settling at $1,318.80 around 0650 GMT.
Investors flocked to the traditionally stable investment on the back of fears of a global fallout after Britain's decision to withdraw from the 28-nation EU bloc after a bitterly-fought referendum campaign.
"Gold is soaring as investors flock to relative safety," said Joe Rundle, head of trading at ETX Capital in London.
Investors had been wrong-footed by the vote outcome after opinion polls and bookmakers had pointed on Thursday to a victory for "Remain" campaigners.
"Leave's victory has delivered one of the biggest market shocks of all time," added Rundle.
- Pakistan reduces import of Ozone depleting substances to 50pc11:52 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Opposition announces Pakistan Democratic Movement against ...11:34 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Khobragade's posting at Indian HC incommensurate with Pakistan's ...11:21 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- WAPDA opens jobs for locals in Gilgit-Baltistan10:59 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan Railways introduces two new trains10:21 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle make it to the list of Time’s 100 most ...01:14 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Keanu Reeves reveals that The Matrix 4 is to be a Love Story01:11 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- I learnt how to ride a bike for 'Quaid e Azam Zindabad': Mahira Khan06:11 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020