Pakistan forms task force to recover plundered money
Some 200 billion dollars is believed to have been kept in the Swiss banks by several political leaders.
“A task force has been established to take action against those who plundered the public money and stashed it abroad,” the minister said while concluding his debate on PTI’s mini budget in National Assembly.
Asad promised a crackdown on tax evaders through the stronger implementation of existing policies rather than radical new measures.
"Wait and see what happens," he said, reminding the house that it had only been a month since the PTI came to power.
"I am warning tax evaders: start paying up your due share of taxes. Do not think we are the same government that was in power for the last five years. We will show you how tax collection is done."
In his speech, Asad rejected opposition’s criticism over increase in gas tariff by saying that the prices of natural gas have increased drastically in past few months so the government has only shifted the burden on elite class not middle class or poor sections of society.
The reversal of the policy, introduced by the previous PML-N government, has been sought in the Finance Supplementary (Amendment) Bill, 2018 tabled by Finance Minister Asad Umar in the National Assembly last Tuesday. The bill largely explains economic and fiscal policies the PTI government will pursue during its five-year tenure, at least in the near- to medium term as part of its larger plan to stem the financial crisis facing the country.
- Trump’s Mideast plan: Pakistan wants Jerusalem as capital of ...07:09 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Female polio vaccinator killed in Swabi firing incident06:32 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Pakistan rejects Indian PM Modi's war-mongering remarks06:10 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Malaysia in talks with Pakistan to import security guards04:39 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Of the Sellers of Gender Stereotypes04:09 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Priyanka Chopra in final talks to join The Matrix 403:19 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Humayun Saeed thanks fans for showering love on MPTH's team02:49 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- Shah Rukh Khan's Pakistani cousin passes away in Peshawar02:15 PM | 29 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019