Women in Khushab, Upper Dir make history by casting votes for first time in 70 years
Amid Election Commission of Pakistan's hope that country may mark maximum turnout in what appears to be tightly-contested elections, some history-making events are also taking place in the conservative areas where women are usually not allowed to take part in an activity outside their homes.
However, women in a village located in Khuhab, a city in Punjab, are making history by casting their votes for the first time ever since the country came into being. The women from Ghak Kallan village reached the polling stations soon after the polling time started and used their right to vote.
Elections 2018 Live Results: PTI celebrates ... 03:00 PM | 25 Jul, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Final results of Pakistan's crucial and largest general elections are yet to be announced despite the ...
Moreover, the women in Upper Dir are also using their right to franchise in a historic first.
In the ongoing elections, as many as 105.96 million people, including 47 million female voters, will be able to use their right to vote from 8 am till 6 pm without any formal break, with over 1,2000 candidates vying for 270 national and 570 provincial assembly seats. Twenty-three percent of the total voters would be taking part in the exercise for the first time.
It is common practice in the rural areas of Pakistan where female voters are denied their right; however, the turnover of women voters in urban areas remained comparatively satisfactory in the previous elections.
- Teenage boy 'gang-raped', filmed by six in Punjab’s Pakpattan11:14 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Over 100 clerics of banned TLP placed on fourth schedule10:45 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - 2021-April-20-Updated ...09:56 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Govt to table resolution on French envoy’s expulsion in NA today: ...09:39 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan reports 5,445 new cases, 137 deaths amid Covid-19 surge09:07 AM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Amir Liaquat's Nagin dance video goes viral06:19 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Alia Bhatt comments on Pakistani rapper-comedian's latest video05:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Ali Azmat tests positive for COVID-1904:15 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021