Technical fault in PTCL fibre optics causes massive Internet outage across Pakistan
KARACHI - Besides strong citicism, the Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited (PTCL) is facing major technical issues in its fibre optics that caused a massive Internet blackout across the country on Monday.
The main cities affected include Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad along with several others.
In a Facebook post, PTCL confirmed that its services were impacted and they were working to restore them.
However, Internet service providers were unable to provide a timeframe on when the problem will be resolved.
Earlier, some social media users came up with reports that they received automated calls from PTCL, informing them about a planned upgrade activity on Monday.
Pakistan Telecommunications Company Limited (PTCL) acts as the internet gateway to Pakistan, providing bandwidth to local Internet service providers. TWA and PTCL are connected with four undersea fiber optic cables that include I-ME-WE, SEA-ME-WE-3, SEA-ME-WE-4 and TWA-1.
The country’s Internet traffic is currently running on SEA-ME-WE-3and TWA-1 and catering to the entire telecommunications traffic.
SEA-ME-WE 4 provides a telecommunications link between Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Egypt, Italy, Tunisia, Algeria and France.
The cable is approximately 18,800 kilometres long, and provides the primary internet backbone between South East Asia, the Indian subcontinent, the Middle East and Europe.
- Govt will ensure Pakistan fulfills its enormous maritime potential, ...01:22 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Private schools in KP reopened after five months closure12:14 PM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Toshakhana reference: Nawaz challenges NAB's summoning in IHC11:37 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- COAS, Bill Gates discuss Pakistan's Covid-19 response, resumption of ...10:59 AM | 15 Aug, 2020
- Momina Mustehsan, Muneeb Butt call out Kangana Ranaut for spreading ...05:43 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- FIR lodged against Saba Qamar and Bilal Saeed05:09 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- Abida Parveen, Ali Zafar and Humayun Saeed among others honoured ...04:39 PM | 14 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020