Technical fault in PTCL fibre optics causes massive Internet outage across Pakistan
KARACHI - Besides strong citicism, the Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited (PTCL) is facing major technical issues in its fibre optics that caused a massive Internet blackout across the country on Monday.
The main cities affected include Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad along with several others.
In a Facebook post, PTCL confirmed that its services were impacted and they were working to restore them.
However, Internet service providers were unable to provide a timeframe on when the problem will be resolved.
Earlier, some social media users came up with reports that they received automated calls from PTCL , informing them about a planned upgrade activity on Monday.
Pakistan Telecommunications Company Limited (PTCL) acts as the internet gateway to Pakistan , providing bandwidth to local Internet service providers. TWA and PTCL are connected with four undersea fiber optic cables that include I-ME-WE, SEA-ME-WE-3, SEA-ME-WE-4 and TWA-1.
The country’s Internet traffic is currently running on SEA-ME-WE-3and TWA-1 and catering to the entire telecommunications traffic.
SEA-ME-WE 4 provides a telecommunications link between Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Bangladesh, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan , United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Egypt, Italy, Tunisia, Algeria and France.
The cable is approximately 18,800 kilometres long, and provides the primary internet backbone between South East Asia, the Indian subcontinent, the Middle East and Europe.
- PM Imran to inaugurate Gujranwala shuttle train on Feb 5th06:55 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- PM Imran hails Quetta hero who saved more than 100 lives06:43 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Syllabus of Class 1st-8th to be changed in Cantonment areas06:31 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Afghan Taliban agree to implement 10-day ceasefire with US troops06:23 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- SAPM hails Munno Bhai’s services to leukemia patients03:51 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019