What will happen to Lt Gen Asim Bajwa's twitter account? Bad news for ISPR
ISLAMABAD - The outgoing DG ISPR Asim Bajwa is reportedly willing to take away Twitter account under his name, which would result in losing as many as 3.05 million followers amassed by the media wing of Army.
The official Twitter handle '@ ' has attracted followers ever since Asim Bajwa became Director General of Inter-Services Public Relations. The account kept social media users abreast of the activities of Army and especially former military head Raheel Sharif. The followers of the particular account include top journalists, bureaucrats, lawyers, political bigwigs and international news agencies.
In case Asim Bajwa does not agree to transfer credentials to his successor Maj Gen Asif Ghafoor, the new team of incoming DG ISPR will need to build up the large community of followers from scratch under the account '@ .
Besides rebuilding a social media following, it will also take time to verify the account, resulting in a blue tick mark representing the originality of the official managing it.
Another official account of Army's media wing exists with the handle '@ISPR_Official' with over 2 million followers but, as Asim Bajwa used to Tweet more through the account under his name, it gained popularity in a jiffy and newsmen along with Twitterati preferred following that account.
As part of the official policy of micro-blogging site, the unique spellings of any twitter account (handle) can be changed with a new unique name without losing followers.
The general practice is not to create accounts after the names of officers. Even then they can be changed with proper official and professional ones without any loss of data.
On the other hand, the contents (Tweets, following, or followers) of one Twitter account cannot be transferred to another account.
"We are unable to migrate data (Tweets, following, or followers) from one account to another," says a statement on Twitter website.
In addition to Twitter, Asim Bajwa also used a facebook account with over 1 million followers, 1,194,468 to be precise for keeping masses aware of the professional activities of Pakistan Army. Reportedly, Bajwa is not willing to transfer it to incoming Director General.
- AIDS patients being provided free treatment, Pakistan parliament told06:32 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Aamir Masood becomes air marshal as promotions in PAF announced05:41 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- PM Imran approves 2nd phase of locusts control plan to compensate ...05:09 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Newly built hospital to help Pakistan fight against COVID-19 ...04:16 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Actress Naya Rivera presumed dead after disappearance on boat trip ...01:41 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Meghan Markle, Priyanka Chopra, Michelle Obama to speak at UN's ...11:55 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- I will not no longer do item songs in films: Sadaf Sabzwari11:45 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020