Facebook blocks fake news by adjusting 'trending' algorithm
"Today we're announcing three updates to Trending, a feature that shows people popular topics being discussed on Facebook that they might not see in their News Feed," Will Cathcart, vice president of Facebook's product management, said in a post on Wednesday.
The issue of faux news has been a hot one in recent weeks, sparking discussions among millions of users on the Internet and even President Donald Trump.
The “trending" topics will now feature a publisher's headline to add context.
Also, an "improved system" of identifying topics will be implemented to determine what issues are popular. Instead of relying only on what topics are popular on Facebook, this tweak will cross-reference the issues with established publishers.
Lastly, all users in the same region will see the same topics -- no longer personalized for individual interest.
Those three tweaks, Facebook hopes, will cut down on the appearance of phony news stories.
The social media site said the changes were initiated Wednesday and will be available to users in the coming weeks.
- Irfan takes lead in senior section of PGF Qualifying School Golf 202104:06 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- It’s Galaxy Week on Samsung’s Online Shop!04:02 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- Three ruling party, four opposition lawmakers banned from entering ...03:46 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- Kamyab Jawan and PepsiCo sign up to offer Pakistan’s largest ...03:31 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- PTI lawmaker Bilal Asghar’s degree declared fake03:19 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- Meera demands justice after goons attack her family02:46 PM | 16 Jun, 2021
- PM Imran shares a throwback childhood photo with family05:30 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- Feroze Khan opens up about second marriage04:07 PM | 15 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021