Monetary Policy: State Bank of Pakistan raises interest rate to 6 pc
Tariq Bajwa said the rupee’s depreciation of about 5 percent against the dollar swayed the bank to increase its main policy rate for the first time since May 2016.
The central bank had kept the discount rate unchanged at 5.75% since May 2016. This was the lowest level in four decades.
The interest rate was in double digits at 10% in the first half of fiscal year 2012-13 before easing inflationary pressure led to a decline in the interest rate.
- Balochistan's first woman SHO takes charge11:24 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Imran Khan's billionaire friend wins defamation suit against Indian ...10:42 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani fans excited but were Ms. Marvel scenes really shot in ...08:59 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Search operation under way for missing French paraglider in Gilgit ...08:25 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Hassan Ali’s adorable birthday celebration with wife goes viral04:49 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Komal Baig blessed with a baby boy04:13 PM | 3 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022
- 42 Pakistani universities make it to Times Higher Education Asia ...07:52 PM | 1 Jun, 2022
- Four Pakistanis make it to Forbes 30 Under 30 Asia List 202209:53 PM | 28 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022