Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed handed ICC ban over racial slur
The 31-year-old will also have to attend "an education programme to promote the understanding and awareness of issues directly relevant to the offence that he has committed," according to an ICC release.
Sarfraz's on-field taunt was caught by stump microphones but he denied that they were aimed at South Africa all-rounder Andile Phehlukwayo or anyone else in his apology on Thursday.
According to the statement released by cricketing body, “Engaging in any conduct (whether through the use of language, gestures or otherwise) which is likely to offend, insult, humiliate, intimidate, threaten, disparage or vilify any reasonable person in the position of a Player, Player Support Personnel, Umpire, Match Referee, Umpire Support Personnel or any other person (including a spectator) on the basis of their race, religion, culture, colour, descent, national or ethnic origin.”
Sarfraz will miss the remaining two matches of the ongoing ODI series as well as the first two matches of the T20I series.
No Sarfaraz Ahmed in Pakistan XI!— ICC (@ICC) January 27, 2019
Shoaib Malik stands in as captain. Pakistan win the toss and opt to bowl in the pink ODI against South Africa.#SAvPAK LIVE ⏬https://t.co/66Iz9Ecjaq pic.twitter.com/Uc7dK8wRWL
The ICC will work with the PCB to determine when and how this should take place.
ICC Chief Executive David Richardson on the incident said, “The ICC has a zero-tolerance policy towards conduct of this nature. Sarfaraz has promptly admitted the offence, was regretful of his actions and has issued a public apology, so these factors were taken into account when determining an appropriate sanction.”
- US announces support for flood-hit Pakistan12:54 PM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Seven family members go missing after car swept away by flood in Sindh11:32 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Covid-19: Pakistan reports 578 news cases, two deaths in last 24 hours10:46 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Islamabad police get Shahbaz Gill’s custody after hours-long ...09:16 AM | 18 Aug, 2022
- Maria B lauds Lahore school for removing trans activist Dr Mehrub ...09:56 PM | 17 Aug, 2022
- Meera shares 'words of wisdom' with fans09:06 PM | 17 Aug, 2022
- Naseebo Lal rocks the audience at US concert08:44 PM | 17 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022