Bahrain jails 5 Shiites, revokes their citizenship
Many observers believe the move is part of a campaign by authorities in the Sunni-ruled Gulf kingdom to crack down on the opposition.
Three defendants were found guilty of joining the clandestine "Al-Mukhtar Brigades" Shiite group. They were also charged with possession of weapons for use in "terror" attacks and assaulting police, a prosecution statement said.
The criminal court sentenced each person charged with 15 years in jail and stripped all three of their Bahraini citizenship, the statement said, adding that one of them was an Iraqi fugitive.
The same court also jailed two alleged members of the outlawed Wafa Islamic Movement to 10 years and three years respectively after convicting them of taking part in a "terrorist" bombing carried out by the group, the prosecution said, adding that their nationalities had also been revoked.
The verdicts were the latest in a series of rulings meted out against members of Bahrain's Shiite majority by the authorities, who are also pushing court proceedings to dissolve the main opposition Al-Wefaq group.
Scores of Shiites have been jailed over accusations of involvement in violence since a protest against the regime of the ruling Al-Khalifa Sunni dynasty was crushed in March 2011, a month after it erupted.
Protesters still frequently clash with police in Shiite villages outside the capital and Manama Authorities have stripped at least 261 Bahrainis of their citizenship since 2012, according to the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights. The people stripped of their citizenship include the Gulf state's Shiite spiritual leader Sheikh Isa Qassem.
Activists have said that those losing their nationalities are usually given a one-year passport and a travel ticket to reach alternative countries of residence.
Courtesy: Global Post
- Pakistan reduces import of Ozone depleting substances to 50pc11:52 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Opposition announces Pakistan Democratic Movement against ...11:34 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Khobragade's posting at Indian HC incommensurate with Pakistan's ...11:21 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- WAPDA opens jobs for locals in Gilgit-Baltistan10:59 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan Railways introduces two new trains10:21 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle make it to the list of Time’s 100 most ...01:14 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- Keanu Reeves reveals that The Matrix 4 is to be a Love Story01:11 PM | 20 Sep, 2020
- I learnt how to ride a bike for 'Quaid e Azam Zindabad': Mahira Khan06:11 PM | 19 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020