Pakistan Army Chief's extension: COAS Bajwa attends emergency cabinet session chaired by PM Imran
ISLAMABAD – Prime Minister Imran Khan on Wednesday summoned another emergency session of the federal cabinet shortly after the Supreme Court raised objections on the summary regarding the extension of Pakistan top military commander, according to media reports.
The Geo News reported that besides former law minister Farogh Naseem, Attorney General of Pakistan, the government's legal team and other senior cabinet members, Army Chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa is also attending the cabinet session.
A day ago, a meeting of the federal cabinet presided over by Prime Minister Imran had approved the summary seeking an extension for General Qamar Javed Bajwa. The prime minister had called an emergency meeting of the cabinet for the second time on Tuesday.
Pakistan's top court has given government lawyers an extra day to argue their case in favor of extending the army chief’s term.
Supreme Court delays decision on on Army Chief ... 05:52 PM | 27 Nov, 2019
ISLAMABAD – The Supreme Court has adjourned hearing of a case regarding extension in tenure of the army chief ...
The federal law minister Farogh Naseem, who resigned from his post on Tuesday after the court took up the case, represented the army chief.
During the hearing, CJP Khosa remarked that it would be better if the court reviews the Army Act and rules to understand the legal point of view behind the appointment of the army chief.
Wednesday’s decision adjourns the case until the following day.
The government is using the time to fix what the Supreme Court says are procedural mistakes made this summer, when Gen. Qamar Javed Bajwa was reappointed for another three years.
The supreme court temporarily suspended Bajwa’s term extension on Tuesday, just two days before his scheduled retirement. He will be forced to step down if the court overturns the government’s extension order.
- US Presidential election to be held on November 3: Trump09:46 AM | 4 Apr, 2020
- COVID19: Pakistan confirms 34 deaths; Coronavirus cases reach 2,38609:09 AM | 4 Apr, 2020
- Chinese girl smashes money pot to aid Pakistan combat Covid-1912:24 AM | 4 Apr, 2020
- American pianist Ellis Marsalis dead at 85, fought coronavirus04:41 PM | 3 Apr, 2020
- Here's what PM Imran Khan has to say regarding Maria.B controversy04:31 PM | 3 Apr, 2020
- Mahira Khan urges people to donate to PM’s coronavirus relief fund04:11 PM | 3 Apr, 2020
- Pakistani student gives birth to baby girl in Wuhan, China04:00 PM | 15 Mar, 2020
- Top 10 Google searches in Pakistan for 201906:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019