Twitter doubles character limit to 280 in trial run
The micro-blogging site, in a blog post, announced on Wednesday.
At the moment, the 280 character limit is not available worldwide, but only for a small group of tech-savvy users.
Can’t fit your Tweet into 140 characters? 🤔— Twitter (@Twitter) September 26, 2017
We’re trying something new with a small group, and increasing the character limit to 280! Excited about the possibilities? Read our blog to find out how it all adds up. 👇https://t.co/C6hjsB9nbL
Interestingly, users tweeting in Japanese, Chinese, and Korean would still be having 140 characters to tweet as these languages are not 'impacted by cramming'.
Twitter's Chief executive Jack Dorsey termed the update a big move for the company while adding that the 140 character limit was an arbitrary choice based on the 160 character limit available for SMS.
This is a small change, but a big move for us. 140 was an arbitrary choice based on the 160 character SMS limit. Proud of how thoughtful the team has been in solving a real problem people have when trying to tweet. And at the same time maintaining our brevity, speed, and essence! https://t.co/TuHj51MsTu— jack⚡️ (@jack) September 26, 2017
The tech firm also unveiled some statistics showing why it was important to give more liberty to those tweeting in English and to keep the bar on for Japanese language users.
"We see that a small percent of tweets sent in Japanese have 140 characters (only 0.4%). But in English, a much higher percentage of tweets have 140 characters (9%). Most Japanese Tweets are 15 characters while most English tweets are 34," it said.
It also highlighted how the same tweet could consume characters in the Japanese language as compared to English and Spanish.
Twitter has yet to announce when all the Twitterati could expect the facility.
- Rawalpindi woman lands in jail for 5 years for hurling purse on ...10:29 AM | 28 Nov, 2021
- UK announces test and quarantine rules for travelers as Omicron ...09:57 AM | 28 Nov, 2021
- Pakistan reports 303 fresh covid cases, positivity rate stays below ...09:24 AM | 28 Nov, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:04 AM | 28 Nov, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 28 November 202108:38 AM | 28 Nov, 2021
- Abrar Ul Haq comes under fire for sharing video of young girl making ...07:32 PM | 27 Nov, 2021
- Shoaib Malik and Sania Mirza launch their customised fragrance07:00 PM | 27 Nov, 2021
- Malala Yousafzai’s family celebrates her Oxford graduation04:30 PM | 27 Nov, 2021