More than 90% of the world's children breathe toxic air every day
A recent WHO report on air pollution and child health attributed the daily exposure of these some 1.8 billion children to both ambient (outside) and household air pollution severely compromising their health and many a times leading to death.
An estimated number of 600,000 children were cited to had died, in 2016 only, from acute lower respiratory infections caused by polluted air.
Emphasizing that clean air can help protect quality of life and the life itself of many of the children, mainly pertaining to low- and middle-income countries, compilers of the report mentioned that air pollution also impacts neurodevelopment and cognitive ability of the affected children.
Pakistan in panic as smog returns 10:39 PM | 30 Oct, 2018
LAHORE - Another spell of toxic smog has started gripping the heart of Pakistan – Lahore – amid unsuccessful ...
As per the report, pregnant women are exposed to polluted air, they are more likely to give birth prematurely, and have small, low birth-weight children.
"Every child should be able to breathe clean air so they can grow and fulfil their full potential," he said.
They also live close to the ground, where some pollutants reach peak concentrations at a time when their brains and bodies are still developing.
"Air Pollution is stunting our children's brains, affecting their health in more ways than we suspected,” said Dr Maria Neira, Director, Department of Public Health, Environmental and Social Determinants of Health at WHO.
The researcher, however, also referred to many straight-forward ways to reduce emissions of dangerous pollutants and mentioned that WHO is supporting implementation of health-wise policy measures like accelerating the switch to clean cooking and heating fuels and technologies, promoting the use of cleaner transport, energy-efficient housing and urban planning.
“We are preparing the ground for low emission power generation, cleaner, safer industrial technologies and better municipal waste management,” she added.
- 'Imported govt' trying to spread fear throught arrests, Imran tells ...11:59 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- In a first, Pakistan adopts fastest growing sport Futsal11:24 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- PM Shehbaz renews his offer of a charter of economy11:01 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- #PehchaanKaRung a soul stirring DVC Starring renowned thespian ...10:42 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- At least three killed, five injured in North Waziristan IED blast10:24 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Dananeer reveals Kubra Khan is recovering from surgery08:30 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Hareem Shah hints at breakup in latest video09:29 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Muneeb Butt finally comments on sister-in-law Minal Khan's Instagram ...09:59 PM | 13 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022