Bidhya Bhandari is Nepal's first female president
The 53-year-old widow of popular communist leader Madan Bhandari secured 327 votes to defeat Nepali Congress candidate Kul Bahadur Gurung, who secured 214 votes, by a margin of 113 votes, the Hindustan Times reported.
“I congratulate newly elected President Bidhya Bhandari and offer my best wishes for a successful tenure,” Speaker Onsari Gharti Magar announced in parliament after the counting of votes.
According to parliament officials, 549 of the total 597 lawmakers took part in the election. Forty-eight others including those from Madhesi parties protesting against the new constitution abstained.
Bhandari, who was elected a month after the country adopted the statute, will replace Ram Baran Yadav, Nepal’s first head of state after monarchy was abolished in 2008.
A communist with over three decades of political experience since her student days, Bhandari had withdrawn from active politics after getting married to CPN-UML general secretary Madan Bhandari.
She returned to the political mainstream after the death of her husband in a motor vehicle accident in 1993. Bhandari has held several important ministerial portfolios in the past.
The newly elected President is a close associate of Prime Minister Khadga Prasad Oli, who is also the chairman of CPN-UML, and her name to the top post was suggested by him.
Like Oli, she too was critical of the ongoing agitation in Madhes against demarcation of federal states. Bhandari also faced flak from women rights groups for supporting anti-women citizenship provisions in the statute.
Her candidature was supported by 14 parties represented in parliament including coalition partners Unified Communist Party of Nepal (Maoist), Rastriya Prajatantra Party-Nepal and Madhesi Janadhikar Forum-Democratic.
- A Star-studded Launch of the realme 8 Series Awaits with a ...06:59 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Historic as 4-year-old Pakistani girl becomes youngest Microsoft ...06:26 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- IHC rejects plea seeking cancellation of O/A level exams06:08 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- PM Imran inaugurates Kohsar University in Murree05:20 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- PAKvZIM: Zimbabwe beat Pakistan by 19 runs in second T20I05:19 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani ACCA topper Zara Dar pens a heartwarming note about parents04:36 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Queen Elizabeth II shares a thankful note on 95th birthday03:38 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Actress Sumbul Shahid in critical condition after contracting Covid-1910:01 AM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Celebrity babies born in 202105:19 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021